|Potsdam Stadtschloss before and after Allied bombing
|During an allied bombing attack on April 14, 1945 Potsdam Palace was bombed and burned out, but
some parts of the main walls remained. The occupying communists in Germany in 1959/1960 decided to
remove the ruin in 1960. The formerly cohesive New Market lost its face. The only building of the castle
that was left standing was the stables.