Königsberg Schloss was bombed and then blown up by the communists.
Rimburg Castle dated from 1276 and is located in Wurmtal on the
German-Dutch border. Several fierce battles took place here in 1944, gravely
damaging the structure.
Augustusburg Schloss at Bruhl near Cologne was completed in 1298.
Towards the end of the Second World War, the castle was badly damaged
by shelling and looting as was the old
Kadolzburg Castle in Cadolzburg in
Franconia.
Schloss Putbus was built in the 12th century and was owned by the family of
Putbus until 1945. After World War Two and until the 1950s some
renovation work took place at the castle, but then in 1959, the communist
government made the decision to demolish the castle on ideological grounds.
Only parts of it remain today.
Black Castle, or Braunschweiger Schloss in the city center of
Braunschweig was begun around 1753. The 1944 bomb attacks badly
damaged it and its remains were removed in 1960.
Schloss Brünninghausen in Dortmund dated from 1483 and lasted until
bombing destroyed it in the Second World War. It was not rebuilt.
Schloss Calbe was begun in 965. In the final days of World War II, the
castle was damaged by fire and in 1951, despite the protests of the
population, its remains were removed completely.
Schloss Herrenhausen, Hannover, started life in 1638. It lasted 300 years
until 1943, when British bombing completely destroyed it.  
Herzog-Max-Burg, München, was ancient, then rebuilt between 1593 to
1596. After severe war damage it was largely removed and a new building
from 1954 stands in its place.  
Kieler Schloss, circa 1558 to 1568, was burned out by bombing in 1944
and its remains were removed after the war.
Stammheimer Schloss, near Cologne was ruined by bombing in 1944 and it
was not rebuilt.
Palais Thurn and Taxis in Frankfurt was erected from 1729 to 1739 and
fell victim to an air assault in 1944 and largely destroyed; Its remains were
dismantled in 1951.
Schloss Hartenstein was built in the 12th century. The remains of the Saxon
castle were destroyed by American bombs on April 20, 1945
Castle Culmitzsch in Thuringia was partly demolished and blown up in
1969-1970.
Residenzschloss Osterstein in Gera dating from the 12th century was burnt
out in 1945 and its remnants demolished 1962. Today, only the former
dungeon and a farm building and Courtyard remain.
Schloss Köstritz, Bad Köstritz, Thuringia was.demolished in 1972.
Schloss Dwasieden was at Sassnitz on the island of Rügen, and was built
from 1873 to 1877. In 1948, the was castle blown up for ideological reasons..
Schloss Schleiz in Thuringia was owned by the Count Heinrich von Reuss in
1689 and dated from the14th century. An American bomb attack destroyed it
in 1945.
Schloss Monbijou, another royal palace in Berlin dating from 1649, was
bombed in November 1943 and its ruins demolished in 1959.
Prinz-Albrecht-Palais in Berlin was constructed from 1737 to 1739  After
heavy war damage in 1944, the remains were removed in 1955.
Berliner Schloss (see below)
Potsdamer Stadtschloss, circa 1598, was burned out by bombing in 1945
and its remnants were blown up in 1959-1960.
Schloss Neustrelitz from the early 18th century was burned out in 1945 and
its ruins blown up in 1949.(see elsewhere)
Schloss Dargun in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, circa 1172, was
destroyed by arson in 1945
Schloss Putzar is the name of the ruins of two mansions in Putzar in
Pomerania dating from 1306 and 1545. In the Second World War, it
sheltered refugees and "resettlers" in its buildings, and was then allowed to go
to ruin.
Schloss Wolfshagen on Haussee between Brandenburg and
Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania  was built from 1776 to 1838. World War
II bombing destroyed the palace and the Orangerie. The castle was
completely demolished later.
Schloss Zerbst castle in Saxony-Anhalt was the Royal Palace of the Prince
of Anhalt-Zerbst. It was time mentioned for the first time in 1196. In the
Second World War it was severely damaged by bombs in April of 1945 and
it burned completely; Reconstruction of its foundation walls of the still standing
castle would have been possible, but were rejected due to ideological
decisions, and the west wing was blown up. Only the ruins of the east wing
was preserved.
The old castle in
Nürnberg was among others completely devastated by
bombs.
Johannisburg Palace and Mannheim Palace were among the
countless others that were severely injured, and the German castles in lands
given to the communist governments were either destroyed or taken away
from their rightful owners.
Karlsruher Schloss was first constructed by Jakob Friedrich von
Batzendorf. The city was planned with the tower of the palace at the centre
and 32 streets radiating out from it like spokes on a wheel, giving Karlsruhe
the name "fan city" (Fächerstadt). The palace was rebuilt in 1746 and it was
later altered by Balthasar Neumann and Friedrich von Kesslau and again in
1785 by Wilhelm Jeremias Müller. The palace, along with most of the city,
was reduced to rubble by Allied bombing.
Schloß Rurich near Hückelhoven, dating in part from the 13th century,
survived the immense destruction caused by "Operation Queen" on  
November 16, 1944 which laid waste to several nearby towns and cities only
to be hit by a grenade attack on Christmas of 1944, which caused immense,
and in part irreparable damage. The valuable castle library of over 18,000
volumes was thoroughly looted by American GIs
Long ago, over forty aggressive French incursions into Germany in the 1600s and numerous bloody sieges by King Louis
XIV's armies resulted in the destruction of nearly every ancient castle within their reach along the banks of the Rhine. The
French armies devastated German land, destroying everything in their path. The situation repeated itself in World War
Two. The Allies hated big buildings where troops might be hiding, and the answer was plain: simply blow them up. In the
eastern areas under communism, many were razed later for purely "ideological" reasons. In a land once noted for its
ancient and beautiful castles, very few German castles remain today, and almost none as they once were. To name just a
handful of those castles destroyed by war.
Castles Kaput (click on images)
Above, top to bottom: Schloss
Putbus, Braunschweiger Schloss,
Berliner Schloss, Schloss
Brünninghausen, Residenzschloss
Osterstein, Schloss Herrenhausen,
Kieler Schloss, Schloss Monbijou,
Prinz-Albrecht-  Palais, Schloss
Dwasieden, Potsdamer
Stadtschloss, Schloss Zerbst,
Schloss Dargun, Karlsruher
Schloss, Schloß Rurich  
Another palace blown up after the war was the Berlin Schlossplatz, the
Hohenzollern royal palace and winter home to the Prussian Electors, Kings
and Kaisers. It was the center of Berlin for centuries, and the architecture
of the entire inner city had been conceived around the central palace.
Originally a medieval castle dating back to the fifteenth century, over the
ages it became a grand residence, expanded and rebuilt in differing
architectural styles by various masters. Shortly after Germany lost the First
World War and Kaiser Wilhelm II abdicated, the Palace became a
museum.
Charlottenburg Palace, top,  was thoroughly looted twice in its history, first by Napoleon and then by the Red
Army. It was also extensively damaged by bombing at the end of World War Two. The old Zweibrücken
Schloss, bottom,  was yet another piece of European history levelled by Allied bombs
There are many more castles throughout this site and on the pages under "Plunder".